Saturday, July 16, 2011

Today I Planted a Garden

Future bell peppers!

After 5 months in Africa, I’ve finally gotten my hands in the dirt outside my house!  I just love planting things, working in the garden is good exercise and good thinking time for me… there are so many lessons to be learned in the garden about God and Godly living if we only take the time to look… for instance, one must do some physical labor in order to produce a crop, but ultimately the harvest depends upon the Lord’s provision of good soil, sunlight and rain… gardening is a lesson in humility for all of us… we can’t do anything to make a seed sprout or a flower bloom, or a tomato ripen to juicy redness… all we can do is plant the seed, water and wait… trusting God to do HIS work through our hands…

Future Canteloupe!
 That’s what I’m doing here, not only in my garden, but at the school with the precious lives of the students God has given us… I can plant a seed, I can try to protect it from dangerous pests and I can try to keep it nourished, but God has to do the important work in each life to bring forth good fruit… I am seeing fruit now from seeds I did not plant, and I am planting seeds that I may not see mature… but I know that God has placed me here to plant those seeds, and to pray for each little “seedling” as it grows… it’s all about trust, and I’m learning to trust in Him more each day…

Future green beans and black-eyed peas!
 My little garden at home is an experiment, the seed packets were several years old and they may not sprout at all, but I’ve done my part… I have placed them in an environment where they can flourish, if it is not too late… I wonder, are we selfishly hoarding the seeds we have been given until it is too late to plant?  Spread the seed you have, encourage someone, help someone, pray for someone… every little seed you plant has the potential to grow into a mighty tree!
Future zucchini!
I'll try to keep you up to date on this little experiment in the garden!  Meanwhile, here are some of the "seedlings" I am privileged to work with each day, some are already bearing fruit, and all are growing in the Lord! Please keep praying for them...
Grace
Nuptia
Marlene (and Jasmine, my new roommate!)
Prisca (and me!)



2 comments:

  1. So great to see pictures of both of your new gardens!! I just know that God will help the fruit ripen in both cases. I am praying for you my friend (in fact, we pray for you each week in our Middler Sunday School class!) Give my love to Africa!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this posting of photos and especially of the thoughts you included about what God can teach us from our "dirt therapy", as Sue says!
    Blessings on you today!

    ReplyDelete