Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kinshasa, etc...

Firstly, let me apologize for the lack of posts recently.  The internet situation in most of Africa is not the best, slow and intermittent, but I'll give it a go...

I arrived in Kinshasa the first week of September, 2012 and began assisting veteran missionaries Wayne and Sylvia Turner. They have been here in Kinshasa for many years, and were preparing to retire and return to California.

 
I was tasked with organizing and scanning 30-some years of documents, so I had plenty to do to keep me occupied! Reading the history of the mission efforts here in Central Africa was interesting, and I was often distracted from my task! I am so blessed to be reaping the rewards of the hard work that preceded my arrival here! God's hand was evident in many ways throughout the past, and I was encouraged that the missionaries had persevered under such difficult situations. I was privileged to accompany them to many "farewell" functions, and was blessed by the obvious love and respect given them by the Congolese church. They have been instrumental in the development of a Bible School here in Kinshasa, and a new library has recently been completed. In honor of the Turner's many years of service, the library has been named in their honor!
 
 
There were many tears and hugs when the Turner's said their last goodbye to Kinshasa early in November.  They became my mentors and friends in the short time I assisted them, teaching me many things about Kinshasa and missions in general, as well as providing me with fun and lots of laughs!  I wish them God's blessings on their retirement, and hope they enjoy those grandkids!
 
Upon finishing the first group of projects I came to complete, I was able to spend a month in South Africa!  That was not the original plan, but with some unrest occurring in the eastern part of Congo, it seemed prudent for me to leave a bit early for my Christmas break.  I thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful weather in Middelburg, South Africa, as well as spending time with some wonderful friends.  We spent Christmas near the Kruger National Park, where I was again privileged to witness God's magnificent creation up close!!! 


 
 
 
 

Yes, that is a NEWBORN giraffe taking its first wobbly steps under the watchful care of its mother! We saw the birth and the baby's efforts to walk... all within the first hour of life! I know the word "awesome" is overused, but this experience was nothing less than AWESOME! I am in awe of God's handiwork, his provision and his care for all of his creation... I was reminded that if he cares so much for the animals, how much more does he care for me?  He is our "abba," and he loves us so much! I thank him so much for allowing me to observe His creation, and enjoy the beauty He has created! May I never take His love for granted!

Since returning to Kinshasa, I have been helping out with Bible School registration, organizing the new library, and assisting the Hurst family in their transition back to living in Kinshasa after living near Seattle, WA for the past few months.  As projects in Kinshasa are coming to a close, there are changes coming for me.  Other missionaries in other places in Africa have need of administrative and computer help, so I may be traveling a bit before my expected return to the US in late May or early June.  I'll try to be better about posting as my adventures in Africa continue!  I thank God every day for the privilege to serve Him here!

No comments:

Post a Comment